Saturday, December 15, 2018

Hopeful Teenagers Chapter Two

Chapter Two


   "I can't". Jake said.
   "It's impossible and you know it". He added.
 Tise took his hands in hers and held it firmly. "It's just my savings and I don't think friendship has a limit when it comes to helping a friend in need".
"I can work extra time at the workshop and earn more money that I'll use to buy the parts and other things I will need to make the car, I don't want to get you involve with that". Jake said calmly.
"But am not complaining, am giving out my savings willingly and you know that, since it's your wish to make that junk into a better car". She paused then continued "you've been my only friend ever since I got transferred into this school, rendering help when you need it, is not a bad idea".
Jake sighed, "Tise", he said gently, "I've told you a dozen times already, I don't want it, I'll be fine, taking that money will make feel indebted to you and am not a fish who mooch off his friends".
"Oh, so this was all about feeling indebted, you’re not going to be indebted to me baby 'cause you’ll be paying me with a lifetime full of friendship". She told him with her all cute up "Tise's" smile.
"Oh Tise, you're incorrigible! Fine I’ll accept it", Jake gave in finally.
"Thanks man". She replied giving him a friendly blow on his shoulder.
"I should be the one thanking you for giving your lifetime savings to a guy you barely know".
Tise bit her lip, "I know it's kinda strange but something deep inside me keeps telling me to help, like it's pushing me and saying, Tise, help, help, help, you know you can do it, you have to help".
Jake smiled, "No doubt 'bout your sub conscious asking you to help, you kinda act weird sometimes, do you know that? Like you’re a weirdo".
  Tise burst into laughter.
"Maybe it's because I don't have a mom", she said curtly.
"Oops, 'm really sorry 'bout that, well I don't have a dad too".
"Awwn awwn, I think that's why you are the inevitable hulk", Tise smiled
Jake stiffened defensively, "I don't understand what you mean by that".
"The hard type that hardly mingle with people, pretending to be strong when your weak, forcing out a smile when your sad", Tise explained further, "fighting all of your problems and difficulties all alone, being independent".
Jake beamed at her, "and is that a compliment?”
"I guess so", she replied biting her lower lip
 "You like biting your lip, especially the lower one", he said staring at her.
  "Oh, I never noticed, I guessed you must have watched me well to observe that", she said with a smile.
  "Just observations and nothing more", he said blandly.
  "Oh I see". She smiled.
"Here is your text book", she said handing it over to Jake.
"You want to go grab some snacks?" he asked receiving his text book.
"Sure, am damn starving than you could even imagine, you sure know the right words to say at the right time, I like that"
Jake smiled, "Thanks for the compliment, let's go", he said as Tise slung her bag over her shoulder and Jake did the same then they both headed for the fast food joint in their school.



 "So when do you intend on collecting the money?" Tise asked collecting her ice-cream and doughnut from the ice-cream vendor.
  "As soon as you’re ready to give it 'cause the junk will be toured to my house today and I hope to start working on it as soon as possible". Jake replied.
  "So can I be there to see the junk?"
Jake raised an eyebrow, "why".
 "Why?" Tise paused for a while, shocked by his reply and then continued.
"because I want to see how wreck the junk is and man if a cook could draw up a taste of a food after losing her sense of taste and a fish monger could identify the type of fish his customers want to buy even though he is blind, then why should you be unable to make that junk into something nice even though you have few knowledge and experience of your dad's design".
"Wow, you've a great sense of humour, your completely right, that got me", Jake paused then continued.
 "But why are you putting so much hope on me, believing I can make that junk into something nice, am just a per_time worker in a mechanic shop and an sixteen years old guy with little experience ".
"Baby, my mom always told me then that true courage is achieving your dreams even when everyone says it's impossible, I believe if you truly have a passion for something you'll never give up and strive harder for the best", Tise took his hands in hers and held it firmly, "I see that courage in you Jake, I believe you can do it, believing you will win the competition".
  "The competition?" Jake asked shocked.
  "I thought the competition was based on scientific research that has to do with our health and body". He added.
"Same here, not until I asked the teach for more information and he said it's a science class, so we can create anything for the competition, an animal field, a computer software, a formula relating to health issues, it's under all aspect of science".
  "Tise that's totally amazing". Jake beamed at her.
  "We better get going before it's too late". He added.
  "Sure". She said and they both walked towards the gate of the school.
         *******************************
 "Somebody help!!!!" a man screamed across the road and Jake and Tise rushed to where the man is only to find out that an old man had being hit by a car which the driver took to his heels without worrying about the poor man he injured.
  "Tise, check his pulse and his heartbeat". Jake said in a shaky tone.
Tise took the man's hand, the left one to be precise and pressed her fingers in between the man's ulna and radius part of his hand.
"The blood is still flowing through his veins", she put her ear on the old man's chest and looked at her wristwatch.
  "Oh no Jake, there is a delay in his heart beat".
"Someone please call the ambulance!!!" Jake yelled and rose from where he was and tried to stop a car for help but all of them refused to help, some said they couldn't put a dead body in their car, some said why should they help someone they don't know, some said the blood of the man will stain their car, some said they don't want to be charged for murder, they all gave numerous excuses.
  After thirty minutes, the ambulance arrived and Jake and Tise followed the man to the hospital.
   Getting to the hospital, the doctor refused to treat the patient unless they deposited some amount of money as the advance payment, Tise tried to arrange for some money but before they could gather up the money, the man gave up a ghost.
Jake walked out in a slow manner with tears dropping from his eyes and Tise followed suit.
  "Only if the taxi driver had followed the traffic rules and regulations, the man will still be alive, only if the people I tried to stop agreed to help the man to the hospital, the man will still be alive, only if the ambulance had arrived on time, the poor man may have still being alive, only if that doctor that sworn an oath to always save lives had agreed to treat that man without requesting for advance payment, Tise, that poor man may have survived. No matter how hard we try our country still won't get better, it won't progress a bit if we keep on going like this, am just so tired of this country, why do they value money more than people's lives. Eight years ago, it was my mom's birthday, dad wanted to buy a birthday present for my mom and my innocent little sister followed him, on that day as usual people didn't follow traffic sign and my dad took a U-turn and drove on a one way then suddenly a big trailer appeared in front of dad's car and before he could do anything the trailer lost control and run them over, my little sister died on the spot but my dad managed to survive somehow, mum blamed dad for what happened and told him she can't afford to lose another child due to his carelessness so therefore if dad should not stop drinking before and when driving and follow the traffic rules she 'll demand for a separation but fate had its way, dad divorced mum just to get married to a multimillionaire's daughter because her father told dad that he 'll help him produce his latest car edition which involved a lot of money, Tise I lost my innocent kid sister due to mistakes that happens every day, mistakes people think are normal, and my dad due to lack of funds, ever since then I had only one rule and that is to follow all rules and regulations". Tise held Jake's hand in hers as he wept.
  "You 're not to be blamed Jake, our country is not the same country that gained independence years back, our country is not the same country great legends fought for, things keeps happening like this because everyone thinks any small mistake people make is a normal thing, they fail to realize that what is wrong is wrong and what is good is good, the old man's death was not your fault dear". Tears gathered in her eyes as she also wept.
  Few minutes later they arrived at Jake's house and they collapsed on the chair.
  Shortly after they heard a sound of a car engine and Jake peeped out his window and saw his boss then they both came out of the house and saw Jake's coworkers touring the junk into his compound.
Tise was shocked seeing the junk, it was a total wreck, completely damaged, "it sure will require lots of money to make something good outta this trash", she murmured as she watched Jake having a conversation with a man that's strange to her but she didn't hesitated to join the conversation.
  "The materials needed to make this junk into something reasonable is quite expensive and some of the car parts like the engine, fuel pump and so on can be difficult to find because they are scarce but with luck on our side we should be able to get them". Mr. Johnson said.
  Jake smiled, he waited so much for this day and now its here, a beginning of a new creation for him.
 "I know sir, am very grateful for your help and involvement and am going to try my possible best to make this junk into what I have in mind". He said with a glow.
  "I know you'll son, I've ordered for the parts and materials you requested for, hopefully you will get them latest by the end of the week". Mr. Johnson replied.
"Thanks a lot sir, I’ll appreciate it if I could get it by then sir". Jake returned the gesture Mr. Johnson gave him.
  "Okay son, I'll have to get going 'cause I've lots of work to do at the garage so stay blessed son". Mr Johnson smiled as he and Jake's coworkers left the house.
  "This will be more interesting than I thought, making a car will be one of the best moments am going to have in high school". Tise said as she walked slowly towards Jake and leaned forward to held his hands.
"And it's all going to be happening because of you man". She smiled.
  "I think I'll be looking forward not to let your hopes down miss Tise". Jake said and they both smiled, Jake felt his heart beat a little bit faster as he saw Tise smile and the curve of her lips, he felt a surge of happiness rushing inside his veins as the adrenaline increased he had not felt that way in his entire life. His heart is probably racing for the first time.
 Tise broke the silence. "And what were you thinking?” she said huskily removing his hand from hers.
  "Huh!!!” he was lost in thought.
"Well I was just thinking about how long it will take to make this junk into something nice, I just can't wait for my ride to look hot". He smiled at her, making the lie so real, he couldn't find himself telling her that he was falling for her when he himself still find it difficult to believe.
  "Oh yes, I’ve got to have a long talk with you about that and other things too like my research and our forth coming exams so I think I'll have to come more often". She told him blandly. The warmness of his midnight dark eyes gave her a disastrous effect on her nervous system.
  "And your really sure you want to come more often?” he gazed at her in confusion, the glittering innocent eyes beneath their soft lids were regarding him with some amusement.
 "You mean you don't want me to come around?” she raised a sardonic eyebrow.
 "You aren't intending to do me any bad or are you?" She added.
"No...of course not". He retorted indignantly.
"It's just that I've never stayed close to someone for a long period of time so I can't guarantee you coming more often and we working together a success". He added, wishing dearly that he had never told her about the junk stuff and all.
 Almost as if she could read his mind, Tise's mouth twitched in silent humor, "I'm not tempting you or am I?” she asked him blandly.
  "No...Not at all". Jake told her hurriedly, suddenly finding the atmosphere claustrophobic.
"That's better". She said with a smile.
"Although I will advise you learn how to stick around with people in the future, it will do you some good".
 "Yeah thanks, I’ll". Jake smiled, staring at her black hair and her hot eyes.
 "I think I'll better get going before my dad starts to make a fuss about my where about". Tise said feeling the gaze of his dark eyes underneath the heavy lids on her body.
  "Yeah, you should start going". She nodded as he watched her walk towards the gate of his house.
  "This is going to be hectic than I thought". Jake murmured staring at the junk right in front of him, he walked towards the door of his house and took a sit in front of his computer, switched it on and continued with the design he was creating.


  "Where the heck have you been all day?” Mr. Elliot yelled at his daughter as he watched her body trembled and saw the fear in her eyes.
"Dad, I just em… er… went to see a friend so she could help me with my assignments".
  "Dad I know you've warned me severally not to associate with students in my new school and make friends, but ever since mum died and we had to relocate to his town I have been very lonely, I need people around me". She took a deep breath wishing dearly that her father will understand her plight.
"I understand dear but I can't afford to lose you the same way I lost your mother, the outside world is too wicked than you can imagine, am doing all of this for your safety and don't forget that I can give anything to protect you, even if it means your so called friend's life".
  "I know dad", Tise said as she watched her dad walk away.


2 comments: